Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Shielding Light

This poem is about developing inner strength to cope with various obstacles that should occur over the course of one's life, such as death and bullying. The development of the internal strength overtime is the"shielding light" allowing for one to cope and manage obstacles throughout life leading to a life fulfilled.

Death of loved ones endured, scrutiny from unworthy men,
yet never have I succumbed to demise;
Strength of heart built from depths of discouragement and blind,
I curse back, yet I have not died.
Many a foe has tried, persistent with forked tongues and pride,
with iron internal wit I stand inside, in heart, in soul,
much too strong to ever let go.

Wounds shallow, deep, from agonizing love not fair,
home institutionalization, confinement for years;
My plague overwhelming fear I cannot seem to bare,
descend me not from the battle scars I wear.
Haunting voices real and not desperately attempt to plummet me,
spirit mighty standing tall, my shielding light and guide,
bruised and braised, skin of thickness will not let me die.
With iron internal wit inside, in heart, in soul,
much too strong to ever let go.

Paul Hickey
11-9-11

No comments:

Post a Comment