Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Blurry Window

This poem is about the Virginia Tech Massacres of 2007. The title itself explains it all. The person who did the shooting was irrational and lost all control of his thoughts. If you stared into his eyes all you could see is a person in a daze, lifeless inside, no feeling in his soul, a person who was completely lost..thus the title "Blurry Window". ..because looking into his eyes all you could see is confusion. This is a poem who is written through the eyes of a survivor.

Blurry Window to his soul,
ashes from his flames,
dried up blood that won't congeal
until blood is spilled again;
Blurry window to his mind,
blackened body plague,
smoke-screened mirrors through his eyes
reflecting on the dead.

Standing still, a man who's ill
from abuse sustained through life;
Looks at me, I begin to seethe,
as I hide for my dear life.

No emotion portrayed, he walks my way
with hatred for all humanity;
Shots ring out, I flinch about,
in attempt to maintain my sanity.

Gazing around my friends they fall,
my heart is broken from pain;
Still I need to stay alive
so my friends don't die in vain.

Bullets continue to riddle rooms
with impending, never ending doom;
Only place I have to hide
is to feign my death and soon.

Vastly approaching, I must be brave,
hold my breath with strength;
Hope that darkness passes me by
so that I can breathe again.

I feel the breeze of a loaded gun
being brushed upon my face;
My prayers are answered, he passes by
to exit the room with haste.

My body plastered to the floor,
numb and unable to move;
I gaze around the room once more
at my friends reduced to tombs.

Disbelief, I shed a tear,
what had he really done?
Seconds later I hear more shots
fill adjacent rooms.

Oh my God, I grip with fear,
more and more friends are lost;
Here I stay, I listen away,
at the horror of human cost.

Helpless I feel surrounded by remains
of those once considered alike;
All I can do is listen and hope
that more and more people survive.

I slither the floor feeling for more
people with an active pulse;
I hear screams, I hear yelling, I hear death,
I hear dying, echoing in the halls.

Footsteps afar, running and walking,
I can hear the sounds so clear;
Scores of people gunned down by several rounds
by a soul who just doesn't care.

Blurry window to his soul,
ashes from his flames,
dried up blood that won't congeal
until blood is spilled again;
Blurry window to his mind,
blackened body plague,
smoke-screened mirrors through his eyes
reflecting on the dead.

Amongst carnage of war I can hear
stoppage of gun-fire felt,
As rapidly approaching footsteps are heard,
I keep my body still.

Trying not to tremble with fear,
I hold my breath again,
with hope he passes me by once more
allowing my body to live.

Fear I think of death so near,
human tombs in several rooms;
Friends screaming, friends dying,
I hope to escape it soon.

Feeling his glance for assurance of death,
I feel the same old breeze,
only this time a gun is pointed at me
to make sure I don't leave.

Eyes closed not wasting a breath,
pray I don't end up dead;
Suddenly distraction heard from outside
saves my head from lead.

Sirens yell, men in blue
rush where carnage awaits;
As they do I turn away
to watch as dark escapes.

Second floor, surrounded by men,
a building hit with war;
One last shot finishes the plot
so answers cannot be born.

With wounded legs I cry,
I wait for light to enter;
Lean right back and sigh relief,
my brain becomes re-centered.

Although many friends perished from us
amongst the rubble of war;
We shall keep their memories alive,
let the Devil be warned.

We shall pick up every scattered piece,
glue them back together;
One day we may at once forgive,
we always will remember.

Paul Hickey
11-15-11

No comments:

Post a Comment