Monday, November 7, 2011

Bullet Through the Mind

This poem might seem disturbing to some of you. When I wrote this poem, a friend of mine and I had gotten into a bad argument, the first in twenty years, and I was suffering pain inside as a result. While I would never actually put a gun to my head, the feeling I felt was one of utter despair. The content talks about pointing a gun to my head. This was my way of taking the feeling and pairing it up with an action making the poem come to life.

Frustration running rampant,
I know what to do;
Put a gun up to my head,
feel the lead drive through.

Place the barrel to my mouth,
worries fill my mind;
Will we ever speak again?
No! I close my eyes.

Cocked and ready, aimed and set,
madness within prevails;
Pull the trigger to end my life,
together we have failed.

Bang! Splat! A shot rings out,
no one hears the sound,
which is just as good
because if they could
would be afraid of what they found.

Pools of blood fall from my lips,
two-inch slug lodged in;
Watered brains about the room,
I am sorry for what I said.

Will we ever speak again?
No! I close my eyes;
Put a gun up to my head,
one bullet through the mind.

Paul Hickey
11-7-11

No comments:

Post a Comment