Friday, March 30, 2012

Shrinking Hearts

This is a poem about how all my friends became addicted to drugs. I was the odd one out as I had no desire for drugs. However, what was killing me inside was watching my friends as well as my friendship with my friends die as a result of drugs. The end result, not only death of friendship but death of life.

Minds race far and swift
as insect venom stings my heart with disease;
Stricken deep with hurt of carnage,
I watch poison destroy the love in me
for damaged friends with shrinking hearts of life.

Lost and alone I cry for deep human touch again,
reflecting on the days that once had been;
With fire circulating through my broken soul,
the only light to pierce the open sky, day and night,
I pace this Earth with abundant sorrow.

Tribulation, from friend to embattled foe,
trust becomes renovated beyond repair;
Falling from limb, witnessing the down fall of them,
I caress what is hurting inside,
cast a prayer for the dying to live.

Faith non-existent to their blinded beliefs,
adrift from skin to rushing wind,
we part without maddening words or looks;
Still wonder lingers upon my brow,
ponder upon my brain,
Can this really be happening again?

Flustered, "Is there life among the living dead"?
For all who don live life as if it were gone;
Beyond there is no vision of care I've tried to shed,
Occupied by snow-blind minds,
Inside shattered of will time doesn't forget.

Flaky mood tarnished from mind-altering substance
over-burdening the ego of surviving senses;
Feel not for you have fallen possessed from weakness,
feel not for I have been condemned from expenses.
Numbness stiffened in both body and brain,
withering liveliness from inability to refrain,
please do not die; let me live again.

Paul Hickey Copyright @ 2012
4-1-12








No comments:

Post a Comment