Friday, February 24, 2012

Missing in Action

This poem may sound a little disturbing as it has suicidal tendencies. It is about a man who was striving for success in his life but now finds himself struggling. During the best days of his life his father was alive and supporting him with every step he took. However, his father is gone, the man is struggling, and has no place to turn. He misses his father and feels that the only way out is to die and where more soothing but to kill himself where his father died. He does not tell anyone where he is and he is gone for several days with no trace until his body is finally found in the headlands by the Bay. I know, sounds disturbing but powerful

The ocean sounds very peaceful,
the night time quite serene,
the hill side is dark and blissful,
the perfect place to end a dream.

My pistol handle feels very warm
as tears drip from my face;
The barrel is so much warmer
as I place it up to my face.

My mouth is opened wide,
My eyes pierce the blackened sky,
and as they close and roll on back,
I hear my father cry.

I hesitate a very brief moment,
to ask the question, why?
Still I pull the trigger,
to fall where he had died.

Missing in the headlands,
a thousand days gone by,
whatever happened to the very sad man
who never said goodbye.

With eyes piercing the blackened sky,
his mouth opened wide,
one day he pulled the trigger
and fell where his father died.

Paul Hickey Copyright @ 2012
2-24-12

No comments:

Post a Comment