Monday, February 20, 2012

Closed Casket

This is a poem about rejection, loneliness, isolation, and despair as a result of being made to feel that he/she mean something to other people only to be blown off, left out, and ostacized for no reason but because he/she is alive. Thus the metaphor "Closed Casket" is symbolic for isolation, loneliness, despair, and gives th reader visions of death because the ostracized feels like he or she would be better off dead..even though it won't really matter.

Expendable existence gone just let me die,
bury me for my love of mankind;
Close my casket, keep it closed,
I have been executed, stabbed from behind.

Burn me for words of anger I reveal,
hate for those who perpetrate betrayal,
thoughts of blood baths and killing fields,
evil raging quietly in my eyes,
in my head, in my mind,
fatal actions which may take some by surprise.

Close my casket, keep it closed,
burn me beyond recognition, feed me to the sharks,
my ashes cannot be scattered;
Another lifeless body stiffened and reduced to dust,
dead and gone with peace, good will,
my coffin of imprison locked, it does not matter.

Paul Hickey Copyright @ 2012
2-20-12

No comments:

Post a Comment